US says Saudi, UAE acting to reduce risks to Yemen civilians
US says Saudi, UAE acting to reduce risks to Yemen civilians
Mohammed Hamoud Getty Images Europe
15 September, 2018, 19:07
Pompeo's decision drew the derision of critics of the Saudi-led air campaign, which has always been denounced even by Western allies for the number of civilian casualties it has caused and for driving Yemen to the brink of starvation.
Some 22 million Yemenis, including more than 11 million children, are in need of humanitarian assistance, in what the Norwegian Refugee Council previous year called called a "man-made starvation of Biblical proportions".
"We will continue to work closely with the Saudi-led coalition to ensure Saudi Arabia and the UAE maintain support for UN-led efforts to end the civil war in Yemen, allow unimpeded access for the delivery of commercial and humanitarian support through as many avenues as possible, and undertake actions that mitigate the impact of the conflict on civilians and civilian infrastructure", he added.
Last month, a report by the United Nations (UN) said that Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and militia allied to them were responsible "most direct civilian casualties" and were targeting residential areas, markets, funerals, weddings, detention facilities, civilian boats, and even medical facilities.
Without Pompeo's approval, USA forces couldn't continue offering support to the coalition.
But some lawmakers on both sides of the aisle pushed back.
Under a provision in the defense policy bill, Congress required Pompeo to repeatedly certify that the coalition was fulfilling several objectives to continue to receive USA assistance.
On Wednesday, Pompeo did just that - assuring Congress that the Saudis were really, truly committed to trying their very best to massacre somewhat fewer children in Yemen.
"There is little evidence of any attempt by parties to the conflict to minimize civilian casualties", Kamel Jendoubi, chairperson of the U.N.'s Group of global and Regional Eminent Experts on Yemen, said in a statement. Those include officials working on the issue at the State Department and Defence Department, he said. "Members of Congress must act to end the United States' complicity in this war".
As Reuters reported, "U.S. lawmakers, concerned about a growing humanitarian crisis, included a measure in this year's defense spending bill that required Pompeo to certify by Wednesday whether Saudis and UAE were taking meaningful measures to reduce civilian casualties and allow humanitarian aid".
A Saudi-backed investigative team later determined the airstrike was not justified.
Larry Lewis, a former State Department adviser to Saudi Arabia on reducing civilian casualties, called Pompeo's statement "objectively false".
"There's more that can be done", Lewis, now the director of the Center for Autonomy and Artificial Intelligence at the CNA, a Washington think-tank, wrote in an email.
All we are saying is give more war a chance.
"With Secretary Pompeo's certification, the State Department demonstrated that it is blindly supporting military operations in Yemen without any allegiance to facts, moral code or humanitarian law", Oxfam America said in a statement.
The coalition of Sunni Muslim states led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has repeatedly said that by taking control of Hodeidah they would be able to force the Iranian-aligned Houthi movement to the negotiating table by cutting off their main supply line.
An attempt to convene UN-mediated peace talks in Geneva collapsed last weekend after the Houthi delegation failed to show up for three days. Without that certification, they would lose the aerial refuelling services provided by the United States. The Houthis have also been criticized for hitting civilians, though the United Nations says "coalition air strikes have caused most of the documented casualties".
The supposed tradeoff is more battery life, which is definitely something we'll test when the OnePlus 6T comes out. An overwhelming 88 percent of the 19,000 participants said they wanted the headphone jack.
The city warns that people "may need to move up to the second story" but tells them to stay put as "we are coming to get you". Forecasters said "catastrophic" freshwater flooding was expected along waterways far from the coast of the Carolinas.
Here are the breakdowns of the huge prize money on the line in the PGA's Tour Championship and FedExCup purses for 2018. I obviously accept whatever fine it is and move on and try and add one [new event] every year.
Syrian activists meanwhile said new military reinforcements had arrived to beef up Turkish observation points inside Idlib. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said, packing already overcrowded camps there.
The government is also ramping up advertising reminding Canadians of their obligations to obey the laws of both countries. And now, Canadians who work in the marijuana industry will not be permitted to enter the US.
One was electrocuted while hooking up a generator and the other while checking on his dogs outside, emergency officials said. Those who stayed behind gave harrowing accounts of getting trapped in their homes surrounded by water.
But the defender is hopeful of remaining a part of his fellow countryman's plans as the club bed into their new era. As reported by the Evening Standard , Monreal said: 'At the moment we are talking with the club.
Both the grills still look the same apart from the fact that the pattern of holes is much closer to the edges of the sensors now. The Razer Phone 2 appears to have slightly thinner bezels above and below the screen - but they're by no means small.
Russia: UK's novichok interview allegations 'absurd'
In the men's first interview since they were named publicly they denied carrying women's perfume . "We didn't have it". RT editor-in-chief Margarita Simonyan said the pair had called her mobile because they wanted to tell their story.
Hurricane Florence Hits Near Wrightsville Beach
Meanwhile, many were experiencing a complete blackout as the storm damaged infrastructure, utility poles and transmission lines. At 7 a.m., the center of the eye was located about 5 miles (10 kilometers) east of Wilmington, moving west at 6 mph.
Chelsea Boss Talks Up Return Of Blues Legend
Terry joined Chelsea at the age of 14 and made 717 first-team appearances for the club, winning 15 major trophies. Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has spoken about the possibility of one the Blues legends returning to the club.
'Historic storm' lashes Carolinas with heavy rain, floods
Hurricane Florence brought a storm surge of some 3 meters (10 feet) as it began battering the U.S. east coast early on Friday. Hurricane-force winds extended 130 kilometres from its centre, and tropical-storm-force winds up to 315 kilometres.
IPhone X Cases Will Fit iPhone XS And Vice Versa
As Apple iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max pre-orders have begun in the U.S. now, after the phones were revealed globally on September 12. The A12 Bionic is faster and more efficient than before and packs Apple's own GPU as well as an improved neural engine.
Apple ups the screen size with iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max
The Apple iPhone XS is a proper S-model it builds on the hardware and features from a year ago without changing too much. Both will be available for pre-order from September 14, and the first phase of deliveries will commence on September 21.
More and more people will suffer from cancer, claims study
According to the report, the proportions of cancer deaths in Asia and Africa were higher than the proportions of incident cases. Colorectal comes in second for mortality, with 881,000 deaths, and breast cancer fifth with 627,000 deaths.
First Hurricane Florence deaths: mother, baby killed by tree
Expert scientists, however, had said they were anxious about Brunswick because of scant public information about its readiness. The few cars out on a main street in Wilmington had to swerve to avoid fallen trees, metal debris and power lines.
How unsafe is Hurricane Florence?
The town of Bluffton said McMaster's order includes the evacuation and closing of hospitals and nursing home facilities. SC released a full statement Monday night with Hurricane Florence approaching the Carolinas and Virginia.